Candy Cane Lip Balm Ornaments - Holiday DIY
Watch the video tutorial below!
Happy holidays from all of us at Kiss Naturals!
We love the holidays for many reasons: spending time with our family, giving gifts, eating good food and of course all the crafting that comes along with this holiday season!
Our DIY kits are not only great fun all year round but can easily be made into a festive craft to do with your friends and family! In today’s tutorial, we are going to show you how to make candy cane lip balm ornaments. Come along!
- Lip balm in either a tube or a little jar (get yours here)
- Thin, red ribbon
- White Paper
- Hot glue gun & hot glue
***ATTENTION: These tutorials suggest using a hot glue gun. Make sure to ask an adult for help, or have them do the glueing, because glue gun burns hurt like crazy. When the instructions call for the use of hot glue, please allow a full minute to cool before moving forward to the next step.***
Lip Balm Candy Cane Instructions - Tube
- Create your own, customizable lip balm from a Kiss Naturals DIY Lip Balm Kit. Today’s tutorial can be made with both the Lip balm tubes and jars from the kit.
- Using a sheet of white paper, place the lip balm tube at the bottom left corner of the page. Make sure the cap is sticking out.
- Roll-up the tube and mark where the paper overlaps - leave a couple of millimetres of wiggle room. We are totally eyeballing this.
- Next, mark where the paper should stop before the turn-dial. This way you can advance the lip balm once everything is decorated.
- Cut out your new paper wrapper!
- To secure the wrapper to the tube, attach with just a tiny bit of hot glue. We like to make a tiny strip on one side, wrap the lip balm tube, then secure with another very thin line of glue.
- Time to decorate! Secure the end of your thin ribbon at the bottom of the lip balm tube on an angle with a tiny drop of glue. Next, start wrapping it up the length of your lip balm tube, moving diagonally. Be sure not to cover the cap. Secure with another tiny drop of hot glue.
- Time to spice up the lid! Using your glue, secure a few strips of ribbon in criss-crosses across the top and down the sides. To finish it off, wrap the ribbon around he outside.
- You can stop here if you wish - or you can transform this into an ornament by adding a 5-inch piece of ribbon to the lid by glueing the ends down on either side.
- You may wrap the entire base of the lid with ribbon again to cover the ends if you wish.
Lip Balm Candy Cane Instructions - Jar
If you are using the jar for your candy cane lip balm, keep in mind that to open the lip balm jar again, you would need to remove the glue and ribbon altogether. It's not very difficult if you're using tiny drops of hot glue.
- Make your very own Lip balm using the Kiss Naturals DIY Lip Balm Kit.
- Place a drop of glue on the bottom of the jar. Attach the end of the ribbon and wrap the entire container once. Cut and seal with a tiny drop of glue, or with the same drop you used to attach the ribbon, if you're quick enough. ;)
- Repeat step 2 as many times as you wish, depending on the thickness of your ribbon. We wrapped ours three times. If you're using a thinner ribbon, you might be able to go around four times.
- Finally, wrap the outside of the jar once once and seal with a drop of hot glue. DON'T CUT THE RIBBON YET. Instead, measure five or six inches, then cut. Secure the end to the opposite side you just sealed, creating a long loop. Voila, a hanging ornament!
How did yours turn out? Tag us on social media @kissnaturals using the hashtag #knupcycles. Tell us in the comments below if you’re making this lip balm just for you or as little gifts for the holidays! And if you enjoyed this tutorial and want more, join our mailing list below!