What exactly is citric acid?
It is an acid that is typically naturally derived from citrus and is often used to preserve food. Citric acid can also be used in the beauty industry (ie what gives bath bombs their BOOM!).
Today’s article dives right into citric acid uses and a few things to keep in mind when you see citric acid listed on the back of packagings.
Let’s get started!
Photo Credit: Free-Photos pixabay.com
*** Disclosure: The statements below have not been evaluated by the FDA. They are not intended to diagnose, treat cure or prevent any sickness or disease. Please reach out to a medical professional for any medical advice.***
- Like stated above, citric acid is a natural food preserver! For more than 100 years citric acid has been used as a preservative, emulsifier and to add a sour taste to many dishes!
- The first discovery of citric acid was by a man named Carl Wilhelm Scheele in 1784 from lemon juice!
- The Chemical Formula for citric acid is C6H8O7.
- Citric Acid is highly astringent and can actually temporarily shrink pores, reduce oiliness, even out skin tone and regenerate skin cells. Yes, please!
- Citric Acid and ascorbic acid are both naturally occurring in citrus fruits but there is actually no vitamin C in citric acid. Interesting!
- 50% of the production of the world’s citric acid is used for soda! When citric acid is used in soda it gives the drink a tangy flavor that often balances out the sweetness.
- Citric acid actually makes it easier for your body to absorb certain minerals. For example, magnesium is much better absorbed into the body when paired with the acidic ph level of citric acid.
- It helps your body detox! Citric acid increases the body's cellular energy production so that your body can cleanse and detoxify!
- Citric acid has been shown to help speed up metabolism and aid in weight loss. Score!
Things to Know
Majority of citric acid that is commercially used is no longer derived from citrus and is actually derived from GMO corn and cultivated from black mold! Yikes! Be sure to contact companies to ensure that they are using naturally derived citric acid.
D., Edward Group DC, & NP. (2017, November 16). What Is Citric Acid? Retrieved September 4, 2018, from https://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/what-is-citric-acid/
What You Need To Know About Citric Acid. (2018, August 02). Retrieved September 4, 2018, from https://ethicalfoods.com/citric-acid/
Citric acid. (n.d.). Retrieved September 4, 2018, from https://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/citric_acid.htm
Fooducate. (n.d.). Retrieved October 7, 2018, from https://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=post&id=57A32609-6464-775E-459F-A09A4CA49629